[TriLUG] vi(m) #1 of the top ten linux tools admins should know/have

Owen Berry oberry at trilug.org
Wed Nov 2 15:23:14 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 14:33 -0500, Wing D Lizard wrote:
> Emacs makes life a lot easier, especially for developers.
> Just being able to compile and go to errors on your source
> code is a huge help.

You can compile and go to errors in your source code in Vim. Within the
editor type one of these:

  :help quickfix
  :help make
  :help errorformat

Thanks to: http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=3

After being forced to use vi on a Sun box for about 6 months, vi became
quite natural to me. Vim is even better, and I choose to use it to do my
coding, especially as it runs well under screen. Vim-speak has become
second hand to me, and I rarely have to think, except when adding new
words or phrases to my "vocabulary".

Never underestimate the depth of something you can't see the bottom of.
You could probably say the same about Emacs, but I prefer Vim.

Owen