[TriLUG] samba

Tommy Williams talen.quickblade at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 19:15:52 EST 2005

 I have a similar set-up at the house, but have not had any problems that
are similar to this. I am serving the family's "My Documents" from a samba
share and the photos folder is in there somewhere. I dont remember much of a
delay when opening the folder the first time so that windows could catalog
and create thumbnails... Since you can access the root of the share you have
samba setup to supply, I doubt that it would be a router problem.

1) How many images are we talking?
2) Can you use the XP command shell to get to that folder?
a) can you do a directory list in that folder?

On 10/29/05, Andrew Perrin <clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu> wrote:

> What happens if you turn up the logging level on the samba side? My bet is
> that XP tries to open each file in the subdirectory so it can provide,
> e.g., thumbnails of graphics in the browser.
>
> ap

> Andrew J Perrin - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin
> Assistant Professor of Sociology, U of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
> clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu <http://unc.edu>
>

> On Sat, 29 Oct 2005, mike wrote:
>
> > I am having an issue with samba not opening shared folders from an XP
> machine that contains pics or any other data. The initial share opens fine
> and displays the folders fine but when I try to access the subfolders it
> just hangs. I see the activity lights on the router going nuts when I try
> and access them, so I am wondering is this a samba issue or a router issue?
> I have check the permissions and they are fine as far as access rights and
> all but they will never open. any help will be appreciated
> > --

Tommy Williams

"Most experts agree. The personal computer best suited to an individual's
needs is available 2-3 days following the purchase of their new PC."