[TriLUG] obsd 3.8 on laptop (wireless card with Raylink 2500 chipset)

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Wed Nov 2 21:55:36 EST 2005

On Wed, November 2, 2005 6:18 pm, Cristobal Palmer wrote:
> I discovered that if I want to use my favorite distro, I need a 2.6.14
> kernel and the latest rt2x00 beta to get wireless working on a Fujitsu
> lifebook I've got. Since I'm leary of stepping that close to the edge,
> I'm instead considering openBSD 3.8 (they've got a driver for the
> Raylink 2500 series that they built from scratch).
>
> On their laptop page (http://www.openbsd.org/i386-laptop.html), the
> lifebook is listed as being compatible, but I'm wondering if anybody
> has tried to get a Raylink card working with obsd. On the off chance
> that there's a (1) obsd user who (2) has it on his laptop and (3) has
> a Raylink-based 802.11g card, I thought I'd ask.
>
> TIA,

Chris,

You might look at Freebsd 6.  They have done alot of work on ACPI and
also wireless.  They wanted 6 to have excellent wireless support.  WPA
supplicant is included by default.  I think FreeBSD tends to be a
little easier on desktops and laptops than OpenBSD.  FreeBSD 6 is
still in beta but's had several RC's (5 or 6) so far, and is quite
stable.

Matt P.