[TriLUG] OpenWRT on a Linksys WRT54G v.4

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 19:14:06 EST 2005

I am having some problems loading OpenWRT onto a version 4 WRT54G.
Using the directions on the following page I can get the device into
boot_wait mode.

http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=37492#37492

However, once the tftp put starts I get the following ERROR:

sent WRQ <file=openwrt-wrt54g-squashfs.bin, mode=octet>
received ACK <block=0>
sent DATA <block=1, 512 bytes>
received ERROR <code=4, msg=Cann't downgrade to this old firmware version (3)>
Error code 4: Cann't downgrade to this old firmware version (3)
tftp>

Dag-nabbit.  I am running Firmware Version v4.20.6 which the page says
*should* work, but it does not seem to.  Any ideas anyone?

Greg