[TriLUG] Asterisk Question

Ken Mink ken.mink at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 14:57:14 EST 2005

Hello Everyone,
I've got a question for the * folks out there. We're using * as our PBX.
We've got a dozen or so SIP phones in the office. One of our road warriors
wants a softphone on his laptop that he can use when out of the office. Our
* box is behind a iptables firewall. Since SIP uses UDP, using ssh for
forwarding is out. What is a workable solution for this? The laptop in
question is running XP(out of my control).

I've patched * to use TCP for SIP and it worked. However, it shifts back to
UDP for the voice traffic. We currently don't have any VPN stuff set up.
Those of us that have needed that have just used vtun over ssh.

I'm perplexed.

TIA,
Ken