[TriLUG] dnsmasq

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Sat Nov 5 03:38:45 EST 2005

Joseph Tate wrote:

>On 11/2/05, Alan Porter <porter at trilug.org> wrote:
>

>>If you have a simple home network or a small office network,
>>I *highly* recommend a tool called 'dnsmasq'.  It is a simple
>>caching DNS server with an integrated DHCP server.
>>

>It's also useful if you frequent vpn links.  You can specify a set of
>hostnames and an  "upstream" dns server.  That way *.vpn.example.com
>resolves through 192.168.99.3 rather than $DHCPSUPPLIEDDNSSERVER
>
>--
>Joseph Tate
>Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com
>Web: http://www.dragonstrider.com

zone "vpn.example.com" { forwarders { 192.168.99.3;  209.42.192.253; };
};  // done from memory, use with caution

This too can be done with BIND.  Note the convenient ability to specifiy
a secondary name server, such that when the VPN link isn't available,
the first DNS server (which I'm assuming would be on the other side of
the VPN link) wouldn't be available, and thus you'd fall back to the
secondary name server, which would be your normal forwarder, and would
thus give you the regular answers you'd expect for a non-vpn-connected
internet site, if appropriate (not likely in vpn.example.com, but
perhaps useful in other situations).  I'm not saying dnsmasq isn't a
handy and simple tool (I'm not familiar enough with it to say either
way), but the feature in question isn't uncommon or difficult, it's just
probably easier to find in the shorter documentation for dnsmasq, so the
usefulness of this setup occurs to more people.  :)

Aaron S. Joyner