[TriLUG] vi(m) #1 of the top ten linux tools admins should know/have

Matt Frye mattfrye at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 08:40:38 EST 2005

On 11/2/05, Wing D Lizard <wingedlizard at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> burnett at pobox.com wrote:
> > I've two interviews for sysadmin positions in the last couple of years
> > alone where I was asked "vi or emacs?" and they were not joking.
> > Followed by "Why?"
> Which answer gets the job?

As someone who has interviewed many, many potential sysadmins lately
(4 just yesterday), I can tell you that we ask the editor question.
There isn't a correct answer, but if you any particular editor, then
you'd better be able to tell me how to do a global replace in that
editor.  the questions helps we weed out the bullshitters.

We don't include emacs on our distribution, so you do have to know vi,
but in my experience, emacs people usually know vi well enough to
function.

MPF