[TriLUG] Westell DSL Verizon model gives dhcp address I don't want

G.Wolfe Woodbury ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us
Mon Nov 7 13:08:09 EST 2005

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 06:59:25AM -0800, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> Have just got my DSL modem from Verizon and am attempting to
> setup my DSL service.
>
> The dhcp address I get from the modem for the IP on the
> outside of my firewall is 192.168.1.x. This is the same
> network as I have for my machines on the inside of the
> firewall. Rather than move my inside machines, is it
> possible for this modem to give me an IP from another
> netework? I haven't found any docs on the modem through
> google.
>
> Thanks Joe

	This is not the proper behaviour.  I get a 71.x.x.x IP from
verizon for the outside of my router/firewall and the firewall hands out
DHCP addresses for the rest of the internal network.

	It sounds like the Westell is trying to act as a router itself
and you need to switch it over to bridging mode.  Call VOL and ask the
robot for "technical support".  To get service from VOL you'll need to
either have or fake having a windows box connected to the Westell for
configuration and support.

	Once you get it into bridging mode, it should work fine with
Linux.  I've been using the westell with VOL DSL for nearly six months
and only had a few minor outages.

	My net looks like:

VOL/Internet<---->Westell<--->D-LinkRouter<----->local LAN

	There is a Westell "diagnostic" utility for download from VOL,
but its a Windows-only program and you *have* to have the Westell
directly connected to the ethernet port of your windows box.  I used an
WXPPro box to initially setup the Westell, and haven't had to touch it
configuration-wise since April.  (I've had to power cycle it a few times
to clear problems on the DSL line.)

	I'll be happy to help in any way I can.

--Wolfe

--