[TriLUG] ioctl[SIOCSIWPMKSA]: No such device -- ndiswrapper, wpa_supplicant

Brian Henning lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Mon Nov 7 22:46:48 EST 2005

Hi Guys,
  I'm trying to get a Broadcom BCM4306 wireless-g adapter in a Dell Inspiron
9100 going with WPA-PSK under Knoppix.  Here's what's happening:

- Got the Broadcom drivers from somewhere.  From Dell, I think.  Anyhow,
they're called brdwl5.
- Everything with ndiswrapper seems to work correctly, as shown by the
following output snippits:

# ndiswrapper -i path/to/brdwl5.inf
Installing bcmwl5
Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
# modprobe ndiswrapper
# iwconfig
wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:off/any
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00
          Bit Rate:54 Mb/s   Tx-Power:25 dBm
          RTS thr:2347 B   Fragment thr:2346 B
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:100/100  Signal level:-10 dBm  Noise level:-256 dBm
# ifconfig wlan0
wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0B:7D:08:2C:17
          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
          Memory:faff6000-faff7fff
# ifconfig wlan0 up
#

The problem arises when I try to activate wpa_supplicant.  Here's the
wpa_supplicant.conf file, followed by the wpa_supplicant -dd ... output:

# cat /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
network={
        ssid="myssid"
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        proto=WPA
        pairwise=TKIP
        group=TKIP
        priority=1
        #psk="wouldn'tyouliketoknow"
        psk=[psk hash]
}

# wpa_supplicant -dd -iwlan0 -Dndiswrapper
Initializing interface 'wlan0' conf '(null)' driver 'ndiswrapper'
Configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf' -> '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'
Reading configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'
Line: 1 - start of a new network block
ssid - hexdump_ascii(len=9):
     ***masked***
key_mgmt: 0x2
pairwise: 0x8
group: 0x8
priority=1 (0x1)
PSK - hexdump(len=32): [REMOVED]
Priority group 1
   id=0 ssid='***masked***'
Initializing interface (2) 'wlan0'
EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state DISCONNECTED
EAPOL: KEY_RX entering state NO_KEY_RECEIVE
EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state INITIALIZE
EAP: EAP entering state DISABLED
EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
ioctl[SIOCSIWPMKSA]: No such device
Own MAC address: 00:0b:7d:08:2c:17
Failed to enable WPA in the driver.
Failed to disable WPA in the driver.

All the googling I've done so far has only turned up the vaguest of
references to the "No such device" problems, simply saying "ndiswrapper is
probably incorrectly configured"..  (Either that or people writing about
having the problem...but no solutions)  But ndiswrapper wiki doesn't say
there's any need to make configuration settings for ndiswrapper itself, and
only mentions WPA in conjunction with using wpa_supplicant to accomplish
it..  and doesn't have any help for the above problem.

This isn't a huge problem at the moment, but I would love to solve it
eventually..  Anyone out there got some tips or tricks to suggest?  Or know
how to fix this?  :-)

Thanks greatly,
~Brian