[TriLUG] ioctl[SIOCSIWPMKSA]: No such device -- ndiswrapper, wpa_supplicant

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Tue Nov 8 08:42:35 EST 2005

inlining...

> You're using knoppix? How did you build the module?

Knoppix 3.9.  ndiswrapper and wpa_supplicant are both present.  The
Win32 driver I just copy over via SCP (using a wired connection) at the
start of a session.

> Are you sure you have the right/most recent ndiswrapper?

Of course not. :-)  As mentioned, I'm using the ndiswrapper that is part
of the knoppix 3.9 distribution.  I'd try building the
latest-and-greatest, but of course conveniently lack the kernel source
in order to do so (without rolling my own Knoppix)..

> Lastly, do you still have the receipt? (you said this was an adapter
> and not an integrated wireless chipset, right?) If so, exchange it for
> a card with an Atheros chipset.
> Vote linux-friendly with your wallet.

It's not my machine.  Actually I didn't specify the form factor of the
wireless circuitry; it's an internal expansion module (plugs into a
SODIMM-like socket under a panel).  At any rate, this is all really a
S&G project.  It's a friend's laptop that we're just having a bit of fun
trying out Knoppix on.

I'll be certain to keep that in mind when I invest in my own laptop,
however.

~Brian