[TriLUG] RR Network Reliablity

jonc jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Nov 8 13:23:10 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 12:14, Rick DeNatale wrote:
> >  ... The problem is that TW will only allow TW
> > "products" (like their Digital Phone) access to the good stuff. They
> > don't allow other folks to peak beyond the veil of their cable modems.
> > It's a business decision - not a technological one.
>
> There have been some disturbances in the force* lately with big ISPs
> starting to talk like RIAA and MPAA thinking that they have an
> overreaching right to control the folks who use "their" internet.
>
> One aspect of this is trying to grab control of services like VOIP on
> "their" networks.
>
> I can't recall who, but one of the heads of a large ISP was recently
> making public statements about trying to get businesses like google to
> pay them for the bandwidth. Seems like the cart is before the horse on
> that one since google and others are the ones who are driving the
> demand for bandwidth.  By analogy, how common is it in the
> cable/satellite tv industry for the content providers to pay the
> carriers vs. money flowing in the other direction?
>
> It seems to me that we're in for a battle of business models.
>
> --
> Rick DeNatale

Fortunately TW has already made it clear that they will not take that
path. That road leads to darkness in more than one way.

There are all sorts or regulatory agencies that TW has been dodging for
years. If they started to selectively close their "borders" (interfering
with secondary businesses that use the internet) then TW would find
Congress eager to regulate them.

The "Internet" Commerce act of 2010, signed into law by President Jeb
Bush... those wacky republicans.

Jon "definitely NOT a republican" Carnes