[TriLUG] destroying disk drives

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 9 18:01:27 EST 2005

Hi Folks,

Well if TriLUG ever needs a means of raising money, this thread sure
suggests one.  I hadn't realized how much potential for data storage
devastation was seething beneath the surface of the generally helpful
seeming TriLUG crowd.

Here's my idea: TriLUG starts having an annual storage destruction day.
  Someone brings a digital camera.  We canvas the local business
community in advance, offering to effectively and permanently sanitize
any storage media they care to offer up for a flat fee (depending on
media or device type).  Each arriving candidate product for demolition
would be cataloged.

On the chosen day, TriLUG volunteers gather in an open field with a
rented dumster, having brought the tools of their choice.  Depending on
said tools, arrangements with the local fire department, waivers, and
protective gear may be required.

Then the volunteers hold forth on each storage device, while the
designated photographer captures the results.  The images could be
posted on the web site and/or mailed to each participating business as
proof of completion.

I wonder what we'd call it?  UninstallFest?  Storage Carnage?  Bytes
Bite It?

Sorry, they won't let me near the marketing department where I work...  :)

--
Scott C.