[TriLUG] Unmount /tmp

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Thu Nov 10 11:04:05 EST 2005

Owen Berry wrote:

>Is it possible to unmount /tmp without booting into a LiveCD of some
>kind? I have it on LVM and have extended the logical volume size, but
>the filesystem is ext3 and the recommendation is to unmount it before
>running resize2fs.
>
>Thanks,
>Owen

Well you can run `lsof | grep tmp` to see what programs have files open
in tmp.  Kill them (if appropriate / possible), then unmount tmp, resize
at will, and then restart the things you killed.  Alternatively, comment
it out from /etc/fstab, reboot, resize, uncomment, and run `mount /tmp`.

Best of luck,
Aaron S. Joyner