[TriLUG] No more Linux on WRT54G???

Phillip Rhodes motley.crue.fan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 12:10:24 EST 2005

Ok, so I saw this blog post:

<http://weblog.infoworld.com/smbit/archives/2005/11/diy_cutting_edg.html>

which states that newer WRT54G's have a "different operating system, not
subject to the new open source add-ons."

Does anybody know anything about this? Have they abandoned Linux completely,
or is this guy misinformed, or what? It seems
like changing OS's would be a pretty major change while keeping the same
model number... I also wonder what OS they might
have switched to, and why they would switch?

Ok, the "why" question is indirectly addressed in his entry, but I kinda
doubt that most businesses that would
otherwise be buying $1000+ Cisco routers are instead using WRT54G's with
open-source firmware. Or are they?

TTYL,

Phil