[TriLUG] No more Linux on WRT54G???

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 14:43:00 EST 2005

You read it right.. here is my battle to load OpenWRT on a v4 box that
is still running Linux (and my revelation that V.5 is a lost battle
before it began):

http://tbcorp.homeip.net/blog/?q=node/view/464

And yes, Phil is correct.. VxWORKS (the same OS as is on the AP-1200
Cisco line) is now in the V.5 WRT54G.  I believe it has 8 megs of ram
and 2 of flash.  There's no way OpenWRT is going to fit into that.
Even if it did compile.

As for "Cisco's loss" I'm starting to get worried.  Most of the
replacements have serious drawbacks:

Buffalo Airstation: MC external antenna connection.  Exceptionally
fragile.  Plus the cost is around the $100.00 mark.

Motorola WR850G: Looked like a winner.  Low cost, external antenna
with SMA connector but I hear the latest incarnation has an soldered
antenna that would require cracking the case, soldering on a N
connector, etc, etc.  Customers see that and all they think is "cheap
hack job".

ASUS WL-500G: Looks like the current horse to beat - IF I can get
OpenWRT to load.  I can do without the printer port, but it does have
an antenna connection (sma) so I can amp it should I need to.

Still though, I want my old WRT54G back.  Diversity antenna, strong
antenna connectors, OpenWRT.. they were so sweet.  And I need a few
more of them (or something else I can load OpenWRT on, guess I'll
order an Asus).

Greg