[TriLUG] yellow dog (old world)

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 14:44:05 EST 2005

On 11/10/05, Tanner Lovelace <clubjuggler at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/10/05, Jason Faulkner <jasonlf at gmail.com> wrote:
> > /me points to the OldOs.org link in his sig
>
> I looked at your site, but you don't really have any old OSes there.  DOS?
> Eh, maybe, but where's CP/M? MPE? or even Ultrix?  DOS is just a
> johnny come lately. :-)

Well it depends on which DOS we're talking about. DOS for the IBM/360
goes back about 40 years or so, it was supposed to be a stopgap when
the development of OS/360 was taking longer than expected, and like
many other software projects lived far beyond all expectations.

And, if we're talking about OLD operating systems how about (in no
particular order):

OS/360
CP-67/CMS (which predated VM370/CMS
RTOS-8 (for the PDP-8)
RT11, RSTS-E, MUMPS etc. for the PDP-11 prior to UNIX.
TOPS-10
PICK
CTSS for the IBM 7094

--