[TriLUG] way WAY WAY OT: need some welding lessons

Craig Duncan craigduncan at nc.rr.com
Thu Nov 10 16:38:11 EST 2005

Greg Brown wrote:

>Fee Ubuntu CDs to the transfer of knowledge in need.  There, it's Linux related.
>
>Does anyone on this list know how to arc or mig weld?  I am in
>constant need to fab antenna and camera mounts for the strangest
>places and angles and my wood and cobbled metal mounts are horribly
>unprofessional looking hence I'd like to fab my own.  But that
>requires some welding, a skill I have not yet acquired.
>
>I suppose I'd rather MIG weld (from what I've seen of it, I like that
>sizzle sound) but I don't know if these set-ups are very portable.
>
>Any takers on teaching me to weld small bits of metal to make mounts?

MIG and TIG both need inert gas (IG) bottles, Co2 and Argon respectively
if I recall, which are both costly and a pain to travel with. MIG is
good for heavy, long single runs and TIG is good for light stainless
steel. Given your needs I recommend that you learn to weld first with
regular (stick) arc welding. If you actually have a welding kit and some
scrap metal, I could maybe help you learn, but it has been 20yrs since I
earned a crust as a fitter/welder

Craig