[TriLUG] way WAY WAY OT: need some welding lessons

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Thu Nov 10 18:33:52 EST 2005

John Mitchell wrote:

>    I was going to suggest (for example) Wake technical Community
> college but they seem to have only Stick welding(bottom of page):
> http://www.wake.tec.nc.us/conted/schedules/bcn.html

That's only "continuing ed," Wake Tech's curriculum division
does still offer MIG and (I believe) TIG.  There was a MIG
class offered this fall semester, and TIG is still part of
the curriculum for the "Welding Certificate" so I'm
reasonably sure it's still offered.

That said, TIG is probably not needed for what Greg wants to
do, unless he needs to weld aluminum or something.

Stick or MIG would probably be OK for doing the kind of
bracket building in question.  A cheap arc welder doesn't
cost a whole lot (couple of hundred bucks, maybe) and basic
stick welding can be learned pretty quickly.

I don't own any welding equipment, and haven't done in
welding in about 15 years, but I could probably show
someone the basics of how to do simple stick / plate welding
if they have access to some scrap metal, a side grinder, a
welder, and appropriate safety equipment.

Greg, feel free to email me off list if you want to talk
further.

TTYL,

Phil
--