[TriLUG] way WAY WAY OT: need some welding lessons

karl thiele kdthiele at nc.rr.com
Sun Nov 13 01:17:42 EST 2005

Greg Brown wrote:

>Fee Ubuntu CDs to the transfer of knowledge in need.  There, it's Linux related.
>
>Does anyone on this list know how to arc or mig weld?  I am in
>constant need to fab antenna and camera mounts for the strangest
>places and angles and my wood and cobbled metal mounts are horribly
>unprofessional looking hence I'd like to fab my own.  But that
>requires some welding, a skill I have not yet acquired.
>
>I suppose I'd rather MIG weld (from what I've seen of it, I like that
>sizzle sound) but I don't know if these set-ups are very portable.
>
>Any takers on teaching me to weld small bits of metal to make mounts?
>
>Greg

Well, from what you describe you should look into oxygen acetylene
soldering, brazing and welding.  BTW welding takes a lot of practice. If
your go out to Wake Tech talk to Mr Perry.  Wire welding is rather
popular, because it seems easy.  You should stick to MIG. It is also
very easy to make a mess with.   Welding is a skill and a bad weld can
be very dangerous. Bad welds give a false sense of security.  The things
you are decribing also fit into thin metals, which oxy-acetylene is
better for. oxy-acetylene is very portable and you can be setup for
$250-$400. Do not buy too inexpensive a set.  Good tools provide much
better chance of having good results.

If you have questions feel free to contact me easygoing at nc.rr.com. May
take a day or two for me to reply.