[TriLUG] No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 08:41:54 EST 2005

On 11/13/05, Brian Henning <lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com> wrote:
> Just a gotcha to be aware of with DirecWay: They cannot provide a
> public-facing static IP.  Their equipment won't handle it at any service
> level.  So if you're aiming to have something where the folks can log into a
> website to view the camera feeds, etc., it'll have to be hosted somewhere so
> the DirecWay-serviced location can upload images--you won't be able to
> initiate an inbound connection from outside, period.

They do now seem to have a "Business" service which does have a static
ip address (actually up to 6 with additional chard) and "up to" 2000
KBS down and "up to" 500 KBS up. Even then they start throttling
download bandwidth after you've downloaded 500MB which these days is
quite small.

Looking at their web site, it does seem that for their other service
plans they put you inside a NAT router, so unless they support port
routing, which I can't see how they could reasonably support, you're
right.

--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site