[TriLUG] tinkering with the WL-500G and Linux

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 20:57:05 EST 2005

So far the thoughts on the Asus WL-500G are mixed.  OpenWRT installed
easily enough, boot_wait was already set on and this helped out quite
a bit.  There is only one external antenna so diversity antenna is not
a valid setting, but for most users that won't matter.

WL (the command) installs easily enough via ipkg but I am having some
problems setting the power level.  Once I am ssh'ed into into the
router I can set the power level easily enough but I am having a hard
time scripting the power setting via a /etc/init.d script (something
easily done with a WRT54G).  If I can't set the power level
automatically at each reboot the unit is more or less useless for any
amplified use so that is a very big bummer indeed.

Still to be tested: USB connectivity and usefulness and WET (bridge) mode.

Greg