[TriLUG] more (epson) printer woes [[ubuntu breezy]]

Wing D Lizard wingedlizard at nc.rr.com
Sat Nov 26 13:30:24 EST 2005

I got an epson c86 ( free after rebate ).  ubuntu doens't like it.

When i go through the gui to add it it reports the following:

> The driver database entry does not contain sufficient data to build a
> PPD file.

I've 'apt-get installed' all of the printer packages I've found.

using strace and digging through the output, it boils down to the following:

> root at hare:/usr/share# foomatic-datafile -t ppd -p "Epson-Stylus_C86"
> -d "gimp-print"
>
> The driver database entry does not contain sufficient data to build a
> PPD file.
> root at hare:/usr/share#

 ( I've also tried '-t cups', with same result)

It looks like foomatic creates the ppd file ( and I've not been able to
track down
the specific ppd file ).

Does anybody have the Epson Stylus C86 working under linux?

working under cups?

working under ubuntu?

working under breezy?

if so, send me the ppd file and I'll try installing it by hand.