[TriLUG] Looking for intro to PAM

jonc jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Nov 28 17:10:25 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 16:33, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> I'm looking for a good introduction/tutorial on PAM authentication.
> What it is, the syntax of PAM files, etc.  I've googled, but what I've
> turned up thus far is a little to deep.
>
> Hopefully someone knows of a better resource.

We should do a mini-course on PAM!

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html/pam.html

I remember being in the same spot as you many years ago... and the best
resource I found at that time were the docs that came with the PAM
project.  I sacrificed about 18 hours of my life to reading those docs
and I'm sure the info in them could have been more concisely (and
logically) presented.

Not that I regret reading those docs. I've had the good fortune to use
those concepts (and detailed minutia) many times since then. Still it
would be good to have some references that make the PAM learning curve a
bit less steep.

Jon Carnes