[TriLUG] preferred RBLs?

Corey Mutter corey at mutternet.com
Tue Nov 29 13:44:27 EST 2005

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 10:17:18AM -0500, Jason Tower wrote:
> anyone have smtp RBLs that they're particularly fond of?

I second others' recommendations for sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org.

The way I have it set up at my day job, I use MIMEDefang and do the
blacklist check in filter_recipient(). It means the list gets checked
once per recipient instead of once per connection, but it also means
that I can set some addresses (like 'contact' and 'support') to not
filter using the blacklist. The machine has a caching DNS server anyway,
so no big deal on the DNS load.

My Web page referenced in the bounce message given tells people that
they can use the contact or support addresses to email us, if they
happen to get on the list. So far, in a couple of years, that's only
happened once (when an ieee.org mailserver got on XBL because a machine
behind their NAT was spewing out viruses...)

Corey