[TriLUG] "Unpacking Linux..."

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 29 18:18:00 EST 2005

Brian McCullough wrote:
> Would somebody please remind me what a system stalling just after
> "Unpacking Linux..." means?  It goes through the "vmlinuz" and
> "initrd.img" steps and then stalls here.
>
> This is a CD-based boot -- an install disk.  LoadLinux starts and
> presents the boot prompt, just like several different distributions
> these days ( F1, F2, F3, ... ).  Hit Enter and get to the situation
> above.

It's a longshot, but if the system has an outdated or unusual graphics
controller a text-based installation might work.  You might try booting
with "linux text" at the boot prompt (if it's supported).

If you burned the CD yourself, it could have errors.  You may be able to
perform a media check if one is supported for the distribution.  The
installation instructions for the distro may explain how to do it.

Good luck,

Scott C.