[TriLUG] Evolution question

John Franklin franklin at elfie.org
Wed Nov 30 13:19:29 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 12:51 -0500, jonc wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 11:07, Matt Pusateri wrote:
> > I basically switched, because I knew
> > thunderbird worked and that Evolution has a history of being buggy.
> >
> > Matt
>
> Them's fight'n words buddy!
>
> I've been using Evolution for over three years now (both at home and on
> several work machines) and have not seen any buggy behavior. It works
> great and I love the feature set.

Oh, I have seen buggy behavior.  The current RHEL4 version of Evolution
has a nasty bug where if you set Autocomplete against an Exchange GAL
(Global Address List), it's impossible to unselect it.  This wouldn't be
so bad, if that same version didn't crash about half the time when
trying to autocomplete against the GAL.  The bug is in e-d-s, from what
I've read.  The fix, so far as I can tell, is to grab the FC3 evolution,
evolution-data-server and libgal2 RPMs.

OpenLDAP had a bug in it that caused problems with Evolution as well.
Connect to the company LDAP server to send some e-mail, then go about
your day with your e-mail client open, then try to get another address
from the LDAP connection.  The LDAP connection times out and drops
during the day, which would be fine if the LDAP libraries realized it
and reconnected.  It doesn't and the only ways to get it to work is
either change the config to try another LDAP server or restart the app.
This was a royal PITA in my last life, and was finally fixed in FC4.

That said, I've been using evolution and prefer it over thunderbird,
mostly for minor UI points.  For example, evolution uses the strikeout
text style to denote a deleted message.  It's very clear that message is
marked deleted.  Thunderbird has an easily overlooked x in one column on
the far left.  Evolution also has cleaner gnupg support.

jf
--
John Franklin <franklin at elfie.org>