[TriLUG] Postgres 8.1 upgrade on FC4

Craig Duncan craigduncan at nc.rr.com
Wed Nov 30 16:22:51 EST 2005

>>My client would like to update their version of postgres from 8.0 to
>>8.1 on their Fedora Core 4 (FC4) server.  RH/FC rpm updates are a bit
>>of a mystery to me, could some one please help point me in the right
>>direction to some notes on how this might be achieved.

Perhaps I should rephrase my question. I have found the following
'development' rpms for FC4
postgresql-8.1.0-4.i386.rpm
postgresql-server-8.1.0-4.i386.rpm

When I try to install these using rpm, I get dependency errors...
rpm -i postgresql-8.1.0-4.i386.rpm
warning: postgresql-8.1.0-4.i386.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY,
key ID 30c9ecf8
error: Failed dependencies:
        libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4) is needed by postgresql-8.1.0-4.i386
        libcrypto.so.6 is needed by postgresql-8.1.0-4.i386
        libssl.so.6 is needed by postgresql-8.1.0-4.i386

When I try to use up2date it thinks postgres is already up2date...
The following packages you requested are already updated:
postgresql

#cat /var/lib/pgsql/data/PG_VERSION
8.0
#psql --version
psql (PostgreSQL) 8.0.4

How does one get around the rpm dependency issues? Do I need to get the
source rpms and rebuild them, how is this done?

Thanks, C