[TriLUG] file copy flushing memory

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 12:25:52 EST 2005

On 12/2/05, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:
> Occassionally I copy several 100G of files to another
> machine for backup. This doesn't put any particular load on
> either machine but other processes crawl, presumably because
> memory is being flushed. Is this the likely explanation? If
> so is there a way to restrict the amount of memory that the
> copy uses?

Possibly, depending on what you are using to do the backup.

You might be able to use the bash built-in command ulimit which can
limit the usage of various resources including memory, but unless the
command/program you're executing handles memory limits gracefully,
it's likely just to fail ungracefully.

--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site