[TriLUG] Recommendations on HandHeld Scanners?

Glenn Hennessee Glenn_Hennessee at ncsu.edu
Tue Dec 6 09:29:38 EST 2005

jonc wrote:
> Hello LUGites,
>
> I'm looking to install an inventory process in my business to handle all
> the phones and routers that fly in and out of here. Fortunately most of
> these things have nice bar-codes on them with their serial numbers (and
> MAC addresses), so I figure a bar-code reader will help me out.
>
> Anyone using anything particularly nice? Hopefully integrated with
> Linux. Hopefully handheld.
>
> Jon

We have used some barcode scanners here. Unfortunately all we have used
are the ones that connect in through the keyboard port. With those you
just shoot the barcode when the application is expecting it and it
routes through the keyboard interface, no coding at all. The handheld
scanners I have looked at connected to the computer via the serial port
of the computer. That was several years ago so they may have usb
versions now.
glenn