[TriLUG] Samba file locks

Joe Allesi jallesi at nc.rr.com
Tue Dec 6 22:38:12 EST 2005

Lee,

smbstatus should output something like the following:

PID     Username      Group         Machine
22781   john       john      john-machine

Locked files:
Pid    DenyMode   Access      R/W        Oplock           Name
22781  DENY_NONE  0x20089     RDONLY     EXCLUSIVE+BATCH  /home/file.txt

You should be able to match the locked file PID with a user/group/
computer in the lines above the locked files.  If the output does
show a specific PID to user mapping, you can then contact the user
and have them stop using whatever application is requesting the lock
via the share.  As a last resort, you should be able to kill the
offending PID.

Joe