[TriLUG] sftp without shell access?

Matt McGrievy mcgrievy at email.unc.edu
Wed Dec 7 11:21:38 EST 2005

I've used sftp-server as the shell for users, but I have not implemented
the chroot.  And yes, the wandering around is limited to places where
they have proper permissions, but by default that's going to include
places like /etc.  So if the goal is *just* to limit full shell access
and you basically trust the users, the sftp-server shell will work.  If
you're really interested in fully locking things down, however, chroot
is probably worth the trouble.

-Matt