[TriLUG] OT: Removable Storage Suggestions

jonc jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Dec 8 13:05:09 EST 2005

I use the old "hidden" partition trick. Create a third partition at the
end of the drive and simply copy the primary partition into it.

Assumptions:
 - First partition is a reasonably sized ~2Gb and contains the system
plus applications that are installed
 - Second partition is the large one that contains all the user data.
It's pretty much blank when you start out.
 - Third partition is used just for copying original state. I generally
don't mount it.

I do this on my linux systems as well. It's a nice resource to have when
you are fighting a root-kit or some upgrade nightmare that has hosed
your system.

Jon