[TriLUG] Recommendations on HandHeld Scanners? -update

jonc jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Dec 8 14:45:52 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 09:22, jonc wrote:
> Hello LUGites,
>
> I'm looking to install an inventory process in my business to handle all
> the phones and routers that fly in and out of here. Fortunately most of
> these things have nice bar-codes on them with their serial numbers (and
> MAC addresses), so I figure a bar-code reader will help me out.
>
> Anyone using anything particularly nice? Hopefully integrated with
> Linux. Hopefully handheld.
>
> Jon

Andrew Perrin sent me a Symbol Hotshot. Thanks Andy!

It's a small handheld scanner that plugs into the keyboard cable - and
then into the keyboard connector. As such, it is OS agnostic and works
wonderfully with Linux. I've been scanning in all sorts of things :-)

The only thing it is missing is a button on the scanner handle that
imitates the Enter key (or the Tab key). Other than that, I'm quit happy
with the little thing and wondering how I ever lived without it!

Now to write a web-app front end to my inventory storage!

Jon Carnes