[TriLUG] Hosting web site on old machine at home??

D. McLamb dmclamb at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 08:51:32 EST 2005

I've been running an old Dual P2-400 server at home for several years
now and works fine for what I need.  It has been invaluable as an
educational tool during that time.

Some day soon, I plan to wipe it and do a fresh install of (probably)
Debian, but in the mean time, I'm still running RedHat 7.2 from way
back.

No problems accessing port 80 or port 22 on roadrunner.  I run
phpnuke, Agatha (streaming MP3 server), gallery (web-based image
viewer), and a few other miscellaneous web-based utilities.

Not sure about blog software, but a search of freshmeat.net should
return some viable options (including all previously mentioned
utilities).

For DNS, I use dyndns.org and pay the $9.95/year  for  .dnsalias.net
hostname.  A utility runs on the box to automatically update the IP
address when it changes.

Good luck.