[TriLUG] IMAP - Nested folders

Paul G. Szabady Paul at ThyService.com
Fri Dec 9 10:42:41 EST 2005

Greetings,

At work we have a desire to move all users from .pst files on the desktop
to a central IMAP server.  I have set up a test (WU) IMAP server on
RHEL3-U6 for this project.  I'm able to create folders (a.k.a. files),
move email from exchange and .pst files to my imap folder(s), but the
standard email clients we use (Outlook on PCs and soon to be Entourage on
OS X) do not have the ability to create folders as directories, which of
course will allow for additional nested folders.

On the other hand, I can log into the imap server and create as many
directories and sub directories as I want (probably a limit somewhere, but
I haven't reached it).  I can then use Outlook to subscribe to these
folders and I'm off and running.  Unfortunately, very few of our 1500+
users will want to do this, even if they knew how to do it.

Ideally, we'd like the user to be able to drag an individual email or an
entire folder hierarchy from either the exchange server or the local .pst
file(s) to the IMAP server.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?  Maybe a different IMAP server
would act differently?

--
Paul
@ Thy Service