[TriLUG] Hosting web site on old machine at home??

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 12:02:14 EST 2005

On 12/9/05, Greg Brown <gwbrown1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/9/05, Chad Thomsen <chad.thomsen at gmail.com> wrote:

> > 3.  Is a 400 P2 128 megs of ram good enough for a lightly traveled web
> > site.  Will not run a GUI to conserve resources.  Is this enough horse power
> > to MySQL/PHP.  I might though togather a VERY basic dynamic web site just to
> > tinker and learn PHP(if I can find time).
>
> Yup.  You'll have fun with PHP/Mysql.  Truly good stuff there.  I am
> now trying to wrap AJAX around PHP and Mysql for some geeky goodness.

But then if you want to be hip and totally modern you should look at
Ruby on Rails. I've been playing with it a bit and it seems quite
cool, it's purported to have pretty good support for AJAX built into
the framework. I think that it takes care of generating the Javascript
parts so you can pretty much stay in Ruby and not have to deal with
too many languages all at once.

--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site