[TriLUG] Hosting web site on old machine at home??

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Sat Dec 10 16:03:42 EST 2005

Chad Thomsen wrote:

> So you have your box running httpd and DNS?  Kewl.  RR really accepts zone
> transfers from its non-business accout home user customers?  I did not think
> they would but have never tried.  I will have to give it a try as it sounds
> cool.  So the ony cost you have is the cost of your registered domain name
> (unless you count the cost of your hardware/software/broadband).  I suppose
> you would not have to pay for that unless its either taken already or you
> were afraid of somebody else taking it away from you.
>
> Can you set up a Linux DNS to do zone transers at a given interval incase
> the IP addy would change and you no realize it?

Not exactly.  RR isn't going to update their DNS servers to
reflect your DNS info, but that's OK.  Most domain
registrars (maybe all) run DNS servers, and they usually
provide a way for you to manage the DNS info for your
domain.  I've used both Register.com and GoDaddy, and both
allow you to manage the IP that your domain points to,
using their DNS servers.

  I think Dave's point was, their IPs don't change very
often, despite the fact that they are DHCP assigned.  So you
can manually keep it updated, as opposed to going to the
bother of setting up a dynamic DNS client.  Personally I
find that it's not that much trouble get get dynamic DNS
working.  Zoneedit provides free dyndns service for up to
5 domains, and the ddclient program that ships with
(many|most|all) linux distros is compatible with their
service, and very easy to configure.

Oh, and one other point.. you don't - strictly speaking -
have to own a domain.  Services like no-ip.org, etc. will
usually allow you to use a subdomain within their domain.
So if you don't own a domain, you select something like

myimaginarydomain.no-ip.org

and configure the dynamic dns client to update your
no-ip.org account whenever your IP changes.  It's the same
principle either way, but the advantage of a service like
zoneedit is that you can use your own "real" domain if you
happen to own one.

TTYL,

Phil
--