[TriLUG] MIDI Software Synths?

Brian Henning lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Sun Dec 11 22:04:08 EST 2005

Heh.  Followup to my first message on this subject.  I got
TiMidity++ working, with the help of a howto I found.  But I'd still like
to know what any of you guys use out there for sequencing and composition.

Also, what do you all do to address the issue of lag?  If my 3-D games can
make me hear "KAPOW!!" at the (apparent) exact instant I click my mouse
button, why do most of my MIDI programs often suffer lag of a second or
more?  If I'm chaining devices just as simply as MIDI-in -> MIDI-synth,
why do I have so much trouble getting anything LESS than 250ms of lag
between when I press a key and when I hear a note?  Any pianists out there
can imagine how hard it'd be to play a song if your piano didn't make any
sound until a quarter of a second after you press a key..

This should be simple.  Why isn't it? :-P

Cheers,
~Brian