[TriLUG] More computer trivia...

Mark Freeze mfreeze at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 10:12:59 EST 2005

I guess I'll throw in my 2 cents...  I learned to program in 1982 at UAB
(University of Alabama in Birmingham) on a IBM System 34 that still had a
punched card reader attached.  (I think it may have been a 2501 or something
like that?)  I ended up being a COBOL programmer for AmSouth bank and they
asked me to program a small BASIC application on their brand new TRS-80.
The whole operation center of the bank was in an uproar over having a PC in
the building.  All of my (older) co-workers said that businesses would NEVER
adopt PC technology.  They predicted that IBM would grow larger and larger
systems and that the PC would go the way of the CB radio.  I remember one of
the IBM service tech's saying "What would you do with a computer if you had
it at your house?"

Regards,
Mark.