[TriLUG] More computer trivia...

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 20:23:16 EST 2005

On 12/13/05, mark at thefowles.com <mark at thefowles.com> wrote:
> I used sorters and card reproducers back in high school as well -- It was
> so high tech.

Yeah, IBM used to call this "unit record" equipment, I guess the cards
were the units.

I had a graduate student friend when I was an undergraduate. He had
come  back to school after some time in a "unit record" shop in Texas.

He told a story about how he had accompanied his techically challenged
boss to a trade show. One vendor was demonstrating a fast card sorter
by feeding in a shuffled deck of multi-colored cards.  All the yellow
cards were going into one bin, the red cards into another etc.

His boss looked at this for the longest time and then turned to him
and said: "Tom, I've seen a lot of fancy equipment in my day, but this
is the first machine I've ever seen that could sort cards by COLOR!"

---
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/