[TriLUG] even more memories

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 17:42:06 EST 2005

On 12/14/05, Mark Freeze <mfreeze at gmail.com> wrote:
> I know how people love to fact check so before I posted this reply I called
> Pipers Tavern on Falls and they said that the only time they pay a licensing
> fee is if they are showing a Pay-Per-View event or something like that. They
> broadcast CNN and ESPN on all of their TV's all day, every day, and they
> broadcast most every sporting event that anyone at the bar would find
> interesting.  They also said that they never have had a problem with
> advertising the event. They normally have a Super Bowl blowout or the
> Carolina-Duke juggernaut advertised in local papers or along the roadside
> and they said that they just have it on every tv at the bar straight from
> regular cable.  They said where people get in trouble is trying to sell
> tickets or charge admission to events like ppv fights.

It doesn't surprise me that they don't think they pay a license fee, but
I'd bet they actually do.  When they sign up for their cable or satellite
package, they can't get a "residential" package.  They must get
a "restaurant" or "business" package instead.  The fees are therefore
just rolled into that so they don't have to worry about them.  But,
make no mistake, they do happen.

Cheers,
Tanner
--