[TriLUG] Suse 10 and Intel 82801

Dean Price deano at price4.org
Sun Dec 18 23:40:36 EST 2005

Spoken like a programmer,

But Like I mentioned before it is not just SuSE that is acting like this
it is 4 of the leading distro's.

In this case I think that it would be more beneficial to find out why
the OS doesn't like the hardware. 64bit hardware is supposed to be
backward compatible with 32bit OS's, 32bit windows doesn't have any
problems at all...

Fortunately SuSE has put both 32bit and 64bit on one dual layer dvd and
makes the choice for you. But what about Joe "Windows" User that gets a
copy of Ubuntu or FC4 for 32bit and tries to install it on like
hardware.  Has the Linux community just lost a potential user because
someone said "Just recompile the software".

Why should he recompile software when it would be so much easier to
reinstall Windows. I have been using Linux for 5-6 Years but I have not
abandoned windows completely.

So again if anyone has heard of this kind of behavior with 64bit or SATA
or the intel 82801 chipset... more likely the culprit is the chipset...
Please chime in with any kind of assistance..

Thank you,
Dean Price