[TriLUG] NFS client on Laptop configuration question, and an Ubuntu tip

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Mon Dec 19 10:25:36 EST 2005

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, Rick DeNatale wrote:

> I'd like to have this directory auto mounted on boot when it's
> available (i.e. when I'm at home).

I do this with automount. When you're not at home, the
directory exported from the server will be empty, but
nothing hangs if you try to access it. I have the nfs mount
timeout in 15secs, so I don't have to remember to unmount it
before I unplug (I still check anyhow). With the short
timeout, you need to make sure disk access to the nfs server
completes without waiting somewhere in the middle. I found
that doing backups where a gz file was being created on the
fly onto the nfs server didn't work. The gz file that wound
up on the nfs server was corrupt. The client (my laptop)
would do a bit of gz'ing, then write, then gz somemore, but
the nfs server would umount (presumably) and not keep the
file open.

Joe