[TriLUG] NFS client on Laptop configuration question, and an Ubuntu tip

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 15:34:17 EST 2005

On 12/19/05, Tanner Lovelace <clubjuggler at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/19/05, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yeah, that's what I'm scratching my head about.
> >
> > So I guess you have something like
> >
> > /server_name /etc/auto.server_name
> >
> > But then what goes into /etc/auto.server_name?  The how-tos I've found
> > seem to focus mostly on automounting floppies and CDs but aren't real
> > clear about how to do nfs mounts.
> >
> > What I'm doing now with my manual nfs mount is to export /public on
> > the server and mount it as /public on the client as well. I guess I'm
> > going to have to change this to use autofs.
>
> Autofs must have a mount point for each automount.  That's
> what /server_name is in auto.master.  Inside your /etc/auto.server_name
> file you would have something like this:
>
> public     -soft,intr              server-name:/public
>
> This would then get mounted as /server_name/public on the client computer.
>
> However, all that said, I would STRONGLY recommend just using
> the default auto.net file.  It does absolutely everything you need with the
> only setup being that you need to uncomment that line in auto.master
> and restart autofs.  If you then want it to show up as /public in the client
> computer, you can make a symlink from /public to /net/server_name/public
> and everything will "just work"(tm).

Looking further into this, it also appears that you can place the options
first and this default them for all mounts.  For example:

-fstype=nfs,hard,intr,nodev,nosuid,nonstrict,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,async
  /public server_name:/public
  /othershare server_name:/othershare

This is the format that the auto.net automatically creates at mount time
for each host you wish to mount.

Cheers,
Tanner

--