[TriLUG] What Distro Would You Recommend?

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 12:18:39 EST 2005

On 12/20/05, David McDowell <turnpike420 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow, that's great!  I didn't realize Ubuntu was going to change the
> release cycle as such.  :) :)  that's good news for that community.

Not the release cycle, the SUPPORT cycle.  In other words they will
still put out new releases every six months, but they will continue to
provide security updates for 3-5 years for all previous releases back
to 5.10.  This is great for server installations who don't want to
upgrade on their own schedule.  In contrast debian stops security
updates on the previous stable release rather quickly, folks runnng
Woody are going to have to upgrade to Sarge pretty soon in order to
still get security updates.

> As for upgrades, I've never really had any major problems... but I
> generally tend to avoid major release "upgrades" these days and opt
> for the "migrate to new install" option.  Ah well, to each his own,
> thanks for the Ubuntu news!  :)

The debian based systems seem to do the best in supporting
non-distruptive release upgrades.  The real plus for Ubuntu is that it
combines this ease of upgrading with support from Shuttleworth's
Ubuntu foundation for old releases meaning that you can upgrade pretty
much on your own schedule according to your own priorities.
--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/