[TriLUG] Postfix config question vmaps.txt

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 13:49:54 EST 2005

I just tried a test of sending an email to two virtual users from
gmail to my postfix server.

The two users were admin at denhaven2.com and admin at mercuryspacecraft.com
 I own both domains and dns is set up to find my server.  I sent one
email addressed to both users.  It got through to
admin at mercuryspacecraft.com, but bounced to admin at denhaven2.com

The bounce message says:

     admin at denhaven2.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 9): 550 <admin at denhaven2.com>: User
unknown in virtual alias table

My /etc/postfix/vmaps.txt file has the following lines:

denatale at ctc.net denhaven2.com/rick/
rick at localhost denhaven2.com/rick/
ddenatale at ctc.net denhaven2.com/deborah/
deborah at localhost denhaven2.com/rick/
rick at denhaven2.homeip.net denhaven2.com/rick/
deborah at denhaven2.homeip.net denhaven2.com/deborah/
@denhaven2.homeip.net denhaven2.com/rick/
rick at denhaven2.com denhaven2.com/rick/
deborah at denhaven2.com denhaven2.com/deborah/
@denhaven2.com denhaven2.com/rick/
@mercuryspacecraft.com denhaven2.com/rick/

I thought that the last two lines would direct any otherwise users in
these domains to me. It looks like it works for mercuryspacecraft.com
but not denhaven2.com, and vhosts.txt has all of these domains listed.

vmaps.txt.db has a later timestamp so it's been hashed from this file.

Any ideas?

--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site