[TriLUG] Open source spam control & filtering?

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Dec 22 13:22:07 EST 2005

MailScanner is *very* easy to install and maintain... And you can even
buy it - MailScanner has a commercial side that does consulting,
installation, support, etc. Also some local IT firms install and support
it. A fairly good IT group that does this is:
  http://www.cerient.net

BrightMail is *very* good. They are a good example of private folks
using OpenSource to benefit corporations. One thing they do that is
"bright" is put out bait email addresses on the web and use those for
gathering spam. They have some nice real-time (grey-listing type) of
algorithms that let them get a very high hit ratio on actual spam

Using and tweaking MailScanner, I've gotten spam blocking that
approaches what BrightMail stops but I've never been able to equal it.
Where BrightMail will stop 98% of the spam, I'm only stopping 97% - but
I'm also stopping every virus and spy-ware that tries to pass in via
email.

MailScanner (run by us internally) is a good idea for my company/ISP. We
have a couple of skilled IT guys who know Linux very well - and the
specifics for many Open Source apps. If you are a one IT person shop
with a boatload of other responsibilities then you will go much farther
in life if you learn to let others do your work for you! and BrightMail
does work *very* well.

Jon Carnes

Still, the spammers are very