[TriLUG] mounting (looking at) dd image of whole disk

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sat Dec 24 09:40:47 EST 2005

I have a dd image of a disk with 4 partitions (partition 1
vfat; 2 swap; 3 ext3; 4 ext3). Normally you can mount
partition images with -o loop, but you have to specify the
fstype (-t vfat or in the case of a cdrom -t iso9660). Since
you have to specify the fstype, I assume that you can only
mount a dd image if it's all one fstype. I don't know how to
mount a whole disk containing several partitions. Is there a
way of mounting the image so it looks like a disk, so I can
look at the partition table and delete/add partitions, do
mke2fs etc?

Thanks Joe