[TriLUG] LABEL collision when mounting usb disks

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sat Dec 24 10:22:35 EST 2005

I'm running kernel 2.4.28 (ie no udev). I have several
external disks with a LABEL in each partition. This saves me
from looking for the (possibly different) device name each
time I plug them in. Instead I have an entry in /etc/fstab
and I can just run `mount LABEL_name`.

However now that I'm using labels to mount (rather than
device names), when I have an external usb drive with no
LABEL in the partitions and I do

`fsck /dev/device_name`

I get

error LABEL not found on disk (or something like that)

If I then comment out the LABEL lines in /etc/fstab I can
run the fsck command OK.

What should I do to be able to mount disks that have a LABEL
and fsck disks without LABELs?

Thanks Joe