[TriLUG] Funky Hardware Problem

Brian Henning lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Sun Dec 25 09:32:41 EST 2005

Merry Christmas, everyone!
   Got a sort of hardware issue (I think) going on here..  But it's got me
stymied because it manifests in Windows but not in Linux.  Here's the
background:

About a week ago, my primary HD died (Good ol' IBM DeathStar...developed
corrupt sectors) and Windows stopped booting.  So I replaced the drive
last night and reloaded Windows once...oops, drive letters assigned really
stupidly (primary was K:..)...twice, okay, drive letters are what I want,
load video drivers---lockup.  Hard.  Okay, this is pre-SP2 media, so
reload a third time and go straight for SP2...which includes released
drivers for my video cards (both nVidia GeForce cards, one AGP, one PCI,
have worked together flawlessly thus far)...set my resolution on my
primary display, activate the secondary...lockup.  Hard.  Back to ground
zero, where Windows won't finish booting at all.

And yet, Linux still continues to run both my heads concurrently with
absolutely no issues whatsoever.

I'm thinking maybe it's possible that I jostled the secondary video card
when I was replacing the HD (it's rather tight inside my case), but it
strikes me so odd that it would only affect one OS and not another.  So am
I nuts here?  I'm going to try reseating all my PCI cards later today, but
does anyone read this and go "oh yeah, I know what is causing that..."?

Thanks a ton!
~Brian

--
Using Opera's revolutionary^Wcrappy e-mail client:
http://www.opera.com/mail/